Bypass HEPA Systems
High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance (HEPA) filters are used in hospitals because they are considered the best filters on the market today. HEPA filters were originally developed by the Atomic Energy Commission during World War II to remove hazardous radioactive dust from manufacturing plant exhausts. In order to receive a HEPA filter designation, a filter must collect 99.97% of a specific particulate that measures 0.3 microns in size, in tests established by the Institute of Environmental Sciences. The SolaceAir Bypass HEPA system is 99.97% at .3 microns and removes particles as small as .01 microns.
HEPA systems usually require a significant amount of fan energy to force air through the filtration media. The SLAHP-300 SolaceAir Bypass HEPA System overcomes this requirement by positioning the system parallel to, instead of across, the airstream. Polluted air is directed through the filter on multiple passes to cleanse the air. Working in combination with a pre-filter to capture larger particles, the system is designed to operate at peak performance for up to two years before requiring replacement of the HEPA filter.
SAFE & QUIET OPERATION
• Quiet, compact, and lightweight design.
• The motor pulls air through the pre-filter as it pushes air through the carbon and HEPA media filter to effectively isolate sounds from moving air and the motor.
• The entire cabinet is thermally insulated to provide even quieter operation.
• Two-speed, maintenance-free, PSC motor has been pre-lubricated for the motor’s life.
• Pleated pre-filter is 30% efficient – to capture large particles.
• Carbon-activated filter absorbs normal household odors.
• HEPA filter is 99.97% efficient to filter particles down to 0.01 microns in size.
• CSA certified.
EASY TO MAINTAIN
• Easy access front access door.
• Motor switch will automatically shut off the motor when door is opened for safe filter replacement.
• HEPA filter should be replaced every two years.
• Carbon and pre-filters should be replaced twice annually.
• Can be duct-mounted or collar mounted to adapt to any type of heating and cooling system.
• Seven (7) Year Limited Warranty.
• Collar Mount adapter kit.
The SolaceAir VOC³ slides into the SolaceAir Bypass HEPA System.
The Problem: VOCs, Odors, and Gas Phase Contaminants
Materials and activities that surround us every day are continuously generating airborne pollutants. A vast conglomeration of odors and gas phase contaminants is created from cooking, cleaning, furniture, carpets, hobbies, nail polish, dry cleaning, smoking - the list goes on. According to a 2003 Harvard School of Public Health report, “Of 120 homes tested for 89 separate volatile organic compounds (VOCs), 100% of them had levels that exceeded safe standards.”
Activated carbon filtration systems have been used for decades in critical applications for the removal of harmful odors and chemical gases. Carbon works through a process called adsorption – the deposition of a gas on solid. Because of its molecular structure, Carbon is an excellent natural adsorber. For this reason, hospitals, museums, and clean manufacturing facilities all rely on the power of activated carbon to capture contaminants.
The most widely used commercial carbon filtration systems consist of 1”-2” deep trays filled with carbon pellets. Large arrays of them are typically used and air handling systems must have special powerful fans to overcome very high resistance to airflow. And because carbon pellet systems can shed carbon dust, downstream filters become necessary which can further restrict airflow, making high-impact carbon systems impractical for use in residential applications. Today, through developments using advanced composites and extrusion technologies, the effectiveness of industrial-strength activated carbon is available for your home.
The unique, revolutionary design of the VOC³ Activated Carbon Matrix (ACM) Module utilizes an activated carbon/ceramic honeycomb matrix that features unrestrictive air channels to provide a pathway for air to flow with low resistance. Because the carbon and ceramic are baked for 24 hours at 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, they are tightly bound together, eliminating dust shedding and the need for downstream filters.
Carbon effectiveness and longevity are functions of weight and dwell time. More weight means more capacity for odor removal and a longer service life. One gram of activated carbon has 10,000 square feet of internal surface area. One pound of activated carbon has a surface area equal to about 125 acres. The VOC³ Activated Carbon Matrix Module provides over four pounds of activated carbon to provide a service life of up to two years.
- Suitable for high airflow applications (>500 fpm)
- Suitable for high temperature applications up to 500°F
- Suitable for damp conditions up to 99% RH
- Can be mounted horizontally or vertically
- Airflows in either direction